Upon receiving a shipment from your vendor, you will need to receive the items on the purchase order.
If you are connected to an inventory management system, orders can be pushed from Inventory Planner to your IMS - allowing you to receive orders directly through there. Your IMS will adjust your stock, and Inventory Planner will update the stock quantity upon the next sync.
For sales platform integrations, you must receive items and close purchase orders so that variants listed will no longer be considered on order. The same methods for receiving purchase orders described here also apply to warehouse transfers.
Purchase Order Status
Note that items on purchase orders with OPEN or PARTIALLY RECEIVED status will still be considered on order. If an item has been received on a partially received purchase order, then only unreceived items are considered on order. Received items will no longer be considered on order.
When to Receive in Inventory Planner
If you are connected to an Inventory Management System (such as Ordoro or Tradegecko) or Amazon, then your receiving will happen through that platform. Receiving information including units received and PO status will update in Inventory Planner after the next sync with your connected platform.
If you are connected to a sales platform such as Shopify, BigCommerce, WooCommerce, or Magento, then you will handle receiving in Inventory Planner.
Options to receive a purchase order include:
- Type received quantities into the purchase order and save
- Receive All
- Upload received quantities to a purchase order.
- Use a barcode scanner
- Upload a purchase order including received quantities (PO does not previously exist in Inventory Planner)
Type received quantities into the purchase order and save
You can type received quantities directly into the purchase order information in Inventory Planner.
After you've entered the received amount, click Save Changes at the bottom of the page.
You will then see a date stamp and detail in the Received History column showing when and how many units were received.
Receive Remaining (including Receive All)
If your supplier sends all items on the purchase order correctly or if you receive all items remaining to be received on a partially received PO, then you can use the 'Receive Remaining button at the top of the screen.
The number of units shown in the Remaining column will now populate in the ‘To Receive’ fields.
Once you ‘Save Changes’ at the bottom of the screen, your purchase order status will automatically change to Closed.
Upload received quantities to a purchase order
If you have a spreadsheet of received quantities, it will be easiest to upload this information to your purchase order.
First, click on ‘More’ then ‘Upload Received from File’.
To upload received quantities, you will need the following information in a spreadsheet including a column title for each field:
- SKU or other identifying information for the product on the PO, such as barcode, title, ID, or vendor reference (supplier SKU). Keep in mind that this identifier must be unique. For example, if you have two items with the exact same product title, then you should not use 'title' as your identifier.
- Received quantities
- Arrival date using the yyyy-mm-dd format. (Optional field for import)
- Ordered quantities (Optional field for import)
First select your file for import.
Then match up your column titles with the corresponding field in the import manager.
When you've selected the correct fields, click Upload at the bottom of the import manager.
You will then see a confirmation message including detail about data updated or errors produced.
Use a barcode scanner
If you would like to scan items while receiving to ensure the right products are received, then you can use a barcode scanner to accomplish this. You will need to be sure that all items on your purchase order have barcode information populated in Inventory Planner.
First, click on ‘More’ then ‘Use Barcode Scanner’.
Using a scanner attached to your computer, scan the received item. As you scan items, you will see the information populated in the Inventory Planner preview.
Once all items are scanned, click Save to enter the received quantities.
Upload a purchase order including received quantities
To import a purchase order or transfer from a spreadsheet:
- Your spreadsheet for upload needs to contain the following information including column names:
- An identifier to match products: SKU, title, ID, vendor reference, or barcode. (Required)
- Quantity ordered (required)
- Vendor name (optional)
- Received quantity if the ordered products have already arrived and added to inventory (optional)
- PO created date (optional)
- PO arrival date (optional)
- Cost price (optional)
- Landing cost price (optional)
- PO number to differentiate purchase orders. If not provided then POs are distinguished by arrival date. (Optional)
- Date format such as yyyy-mm-dd (optional)
2. Go to the Purchase Order section from the left side menu.
3. At the bottom of the screen, click Actions > Import Purchase Order.
4. Attach your saved spreadsheet by clicking on Select File and locating your document.
5. Inventory Planner will match columns with your column names when possible. For other columns of information, you will need to select the correct column title to match the information type for import.
If you are importing a transfer, select the 'Orders Type' field to indicate that the import is a transfer rather than a PO.
When you select 'Transfer' there will be additional fields to select either a Source Warehouse or to indicate a Source Warehouse column on your import spreadsheet. You only need to use one of these two source warehouse fields on the import dialog.
6. When all column names have been matched to their information field, click Upload at the bottom of the screen.
Receiving and Purchase Order Status
If you received some but not all items on the purchase order, then your purchase order status will change to Partially Received. If you received the same amount of items as ordered, your PO status will be Closed.
If you only received some items ordered and do not expect to receive the remaining items, you will need to indicate that the PO is Closed. To do this, select ‘More’ at the top of the PO screen, then Closed for the new status.
This will not add to received amounts, but will ensure that outstanding items are no longer considered 'on order' for the purposes of calculating the replenishment recommendation.