Maintaining accurate and up-to-date vendor information for products is important for accurate purchase orders and metrics. Inventory Planner downloads vendor information and variant vendor details when possible (from inventory management system like Tradegecko or Ordoro). For e-commerce system that does not have cost prices defined, there are several options:
- Import Vendor information to add new vendors to your account
- Upload vendor catalog for single vendor or for multiple vendors
- Create and edit vendors directly in Vendors
- When you create or edit a purchase order, you have an option to update cost price, vendor reference and other vendor data for variants and use it in subsequent purchase orders.
Import vendor information
To add new vendors, vendor contact information, payment terms, and other vendor-specific information, you can import this information from the Vendor section of Inventory Planner. Information that can be imported includes:
- Vendor name
- Vendor email
- Currency of purchase orders to the vendor
- Minimum budget - least amount for a purchase order to the vendor
- Minimum quantity - fewest units to order from the vendor
- MOQ type - define if the minimum order quantity applies to the total purchase order, to variants, or to products. For more about MOQ types, read here.
- Shipment method
- Payment terms
- Vendor address
Of these fields, only the name is required for import. All other fields are optional.
To import vendor information, go to Vendors from the left menu. Click Import at the bottom of the screen, then Vendors.
Next click 'Select file' to attach a spreadsheet of your vendor information.
The first line of the file should contain column names and is not processed. Once your spreadsheet has been selected, you'll see your column names in the dropdown on the right. Select the column to match the corresponding field.
Once you have selected all columns that you want imported, click 'Upload'.
Single vendor catalog upload
You can use CSV or Excel file with arbitrary columns for vendor catalog upload. To upload a catalog for single vendor:
- Go to Vendors menu on the left and choose Import/Single vendor catalog
- Select file to upload
- Select vendor
- Select columns in the file. Most of the columns are optional, if they are not selected, their value does not change
- Optionally, use Preview tab to verify columns
- Press upload and observe the result
Multiple vendor catalog upload
When you upload multiple vendor catalog, you specify a column that contains vendor name instead. This is useful when you have single file that contains information for all all vendors and variants.
Cost prices upload
You can upload a file with sku and cost prices. This will update cost prices for all vendors and variants. Click Import > Cost Prices.
Vendor list shows currently available vendors with some basic information. You can access vendor details by clicking on vendor title. Here you can also create new vendor.
Here you can edit cost prices and other information to be use in purchase orders. Click on the vendor name to see detail.
On the Vendor Settings page, you can update vendor contact, payment, and shipping details; the planning period (lead time and days of stock) for all warehouses; and, associate brand variants to the vendor.
Here you can add variants associated with the vendor, edit variant information for this vendor: lead time, review period, cost price, vendor reference and more.
Click the gear icon in the upper right corner to enable/disable fields on this screen.
What is the Unknown Vendor?
The 'unknown' vendor is created as a default by Inventory Planner when you started your account. It is there as a catch-all for new products until they're assigned to a different vendor. Learn how to remove the Unknown vendor here.